Firm, Individual Attorneys Recognized by SuperLawyers© and Best Lawyers in America®
The New Year brought new honors for Baltimore-based employment and labor law firm Shawe Rosenthal LLP, “Management’s Workplace Lawyers.”
Eleven Shawe Rosenthal partners were recognized by SuperLawyers©, a national rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Two other Shawe Rosenthal attorneys were named to SuperLawyers© list of Maryland Rising Stars.
In addition, Shawe Rosenthal was honored as a “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News and World Report/The Best Lawyers in America®. The firm received a top Tier 1 ranking as a Best Law Firm in the Baltimore Metropolitan Area in the areas of Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment Law.
The Best Lawyers® ranking for Shawe Rosenthal follows an earlier ranking of individual lawyers in which 14 of the firm’s attorneys were recognized in the 2024 editions of Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers in America® (www.bestlawyers.com) has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence.
“Each of these recognitions indicates that a lawyer has earned the respect of both their colleagues in the legal profession and the public,” says Shawe Rosenthal Co-Managing Partner Teresa D. Teare.
The 11 Shawe Rosenthal partners recognized by SuperLawyers© 2024 are:
- Bruce S. Harrison, who handles complex class action litigation and defends employers in high-risk discrimination claims;
- Eric Hemmendinger, who represents management in major wage-hour and employment litigation, including class actions and jury trials, and in traditional labor law;
- Darryl G. McCallum, who concentrates on employment law matters, including the defense of race, sex, and other discrimination suits;
- J. Michael McGuire, who represents management before the NLRB, negotiating collective bargaining agreements and arbitrating labor and employment disputes;
- Fiona W. Ong, who defends employers in employment matters, develops workplace policies and procedures, and provides advice and counsel to human resources;
- Co-Managing Partner Gary L. Simpler, who is well-known for his experience working with employers in the healthcare and manufacturing sectors;
- Mark J. Swerdlin, who has extensive experience defending employers in discrimination claims and representing management in labor matters
- Co-Managing Partner Teresa D. Teare, who represents companies in employment-related litigation and counsels management on human resources issues;
- Parker E. Thoeni, who represents management in employment litigation and administrative proceedings and provides advice and counsel to employers regarding personnel matters;
- Elizabeth Torphy-Donzella, who uses her long experience defending employers in discrimination and other litigation to help employers manage employment relations challenges; and
- Lindsey A. White, who works closely with employers to prevent and defend employment law claims, including class and collective actions.
In addition, two Shawe Rosenthal attorneys – Courtney B. Amelung and Paul D. Burgin – were named to the 2024 Maryland Rising Stars list by SuperLawyers©. Both represent employers in a wide range of labor and employment matters in court and before federal and state agencies, and prepare and revise employee handbooks, personnel policies, and employment agreements.
SuperLawyers© patented selection process includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. The SuperLawyers© list recognizes no more than 5 percent of attorneys in each state, while the Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state. To be eligible for inclusion in Rising Stars, an attorney must be either 40 years old or younger, or in practice for 10 years or less. For more information, visit https://www.superlawyers.com/.
About Shawe Rosenthal LLP (http://www.shawe.com/)
Shawe Rosenthal LLP has a national reputation as “Management’s Workplace Lawyers.” Founded in 1947, Shawe Rosenthal represents and advises management in employment and labor law matters. The firm’s clients range from Fortune 100 companies to smaller businesses and non-profits in a wide range of industries. Its practice includes both litigation and preventive measures. Shawe Rosenthal’s tenacious, results-oriented approach produces results in the courtroom, respect in agency proceedings, and sound, proactive guidance in workplace policy.