For more than 40 years, Baltimore has had a prominent civic space that honors Theodore Roosevelt McKeldin, the former Baltimore mayor and Maryland governor who is credited with launching the effort to revitalize the Inner Harbor.
In 1982, city leaders dedicated McKeldin Square, a large fountain and public space that architect Thomas Todd designed for the intersection of Pratt and Light streets. A plaque on the site honors McKeldin as the man whose vision “inspired the redevelopment of the Inner Harbor.”
McKeldin Fountain was replaced by a public green space and the area was renamed McKeldin Plaza. Designed by Philadelphia landscape architect David Rubin, it contains several markers that bear the plaza’s name and information about McKeldin, who lived from 1900 to 1974.
READ FULL ARTICLE HERE