CAMBRIDGE, Mass. & SALISBURY, United Kingdom–(BUSINESS WIRE)–KalVista Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: KALV), a clinical stage pharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of oral, small molecule protease inhibitors, today provided an operational update and released financial results for the third fiscal quarter ended January 31, 2023.
“We have made significant advances at KalVista over this quarter, including completing a financing that funds us into 2025, well beyond our phase 3 data results, which remain on track for the second half of this year,” said Andrew Crockett, Chief Executive Officer of KalVista. “We continue to publish sebetralstat data across a wide variety of outlets, including influential medical journals such as The Lancet, and make presentations at prestigious medical and patient meetings. We remain committed to addressing the unmet needs of the hereditary angioedema (HAE) community by providing sebetralstat as a significant advancement in treatment for this disease.”
Third Fiscal Quarter and Recent Business Highlights:
- Reported new data in five posters at the 2023 American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) Annual Meeting. The data showed the impact of HAE attacks on anxiety and quality of life in people living with HAE, that sebetralstat significantly decreased cumulative attack and symptom severity while increasing cumulative symptom relief of HAE attacks relative to placebo over a 24-hour period following administration, and that phase 1 data for an orally disintegrating tablet formulation supported further clinical development of that formulation.
- Provided multiple progress updates on sebetralstat development, including the announcement that KalVista has enrolled more than 50% of the targeted number of patients in the pivotal phase 3 KONFIDENT clinical trial. In addition, the Company received FDA regulatory guidance that efficacy trials are not required to support a supplemental NDA (sNDA) filing for the orally disintegrating tablet (ODT) formulation of sebetralstat. KalVista also received guidance from the Japanese regulatory authority (PMDA) on the clinical development pathway to a regulatory submission in that country.
- Published a manuscript in The Lancet focused on the phase 2 clinical trial results for sebetralstat.
- Presented data at Western Society of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (WSAAI) 60th Annual Scientific Session examining the use of sebetralstat as a possible treatment for short-term prophylaxis (STP) as part of the KONFIDENT-S open-label extension clinical trial. Other data assessed the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic parameters of sebetralstat in Japanese adults supporting the expansion of the KONFIDENT phase 3 trial to Japan and delineated a post hoc analysis of phase 2 trial data demonstrating that sebetralstat provided similar symptom relief, reduction in attack severity, and use of rescue regardless of abdominal or peripheral attack location.
- Promoted Chief Financial/Business Officer Benjamin L. Palleiko to President of KalVista and tasked him with the development of the Company’s commercial and business organization.
- Announced $58 million of new funding via a registered direct offering. KalVista intends to use the proceeds of this $58 million offering to fund clinical trials, commercial sales development, research, working capital, capital expenditures and other general corporate purposes. With the financing, the Company now expects to be able to fund operations into 2025.
Third Fiscal Quarter Financial Results:
Revenue: No revenue was recognized for the three months ended January 31, 2023 or January 31, 2022.
R&D Expenses: Research and development expenses were $20.1 million for the three months ended January 31, 2023, compared to $19.7 million for the same period in the prior fiscal year. The increase in R&D expenses during the quarter primarily reflects the ongoing Phase 3 KONFIDENT trial for sebetralstat, increased preclinical spending, and increased personnel costs, offset by a decrease in expense from KVD824.
G&A Expenses: General and administrative expenses were $6.9 million for the three months ended January 31, 2023, compared to $6.9 million for the same period in the prior fiscal year. G&A expenses remained consistent primarily due to increases in commercial planning and other administrative expenses offset by decreases in employee related expenses and professional fees.
Net Loss: Net loss was $21.3 million, or $(0.75) per weighted average basic and diluted share, for the three months ended January 31, 2023, compared to net loss of $22.5 million, or $(0.92) per weighted average basic and diluted share for the same period in the prior fiscal year. The decrease in net loss and net loss per share primarily resulted from increases in interest income and currency exchange rate gains from transactions denominated in foreign currencies in our U.K. subsidiary.
Cash Position: Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $171.7 million as of January 31, 2023, compared to $166.2 million as of April 30, 2022. The increase in the net cash and marketable securities position was primarily due to the net proceeds received from the December 2022 registered direct offering of common stock and pre-funded warrants.
About KalVista Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
KalVista Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a pharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of oral, small molecule protease inhibitors for diseases with significant unmet need. KalVista is developing sebetralstat as an oral on-demand therapy for HAE attacks and is enrolling the Phase 3 KONFIDENT clinical trial. In addition, KalVista’s oral Factor XIIa inhibitor program represents a new generation of therapies that may further improve the treatment for people living with HAE and other diseases.
For more information about KalVista, please visit www.kalvista.com.