San Francisco Bay Area multifamily landlords and property managers have been adopting technology-enabled solutions to accept, manage, and safely secure incoming packages at multifamily properties. ButterflyMX, the leading provider of smartphone-based access control technology for multifamily, commercial, student housing, and gated properties, today released data showing the growth of package deliveries in the Bay Area, which has created new security challenges for property owners and managers.
ButterflyMX has seen a 5% adoption rate in San Francisco and surrounding cities as more property owners and managers strive to tackle the “package problem” and differentiate their offerings. Data gathered from approximately 25,000 apartment units in the Bay Area has been analyzed to measure and understand resident behavior. This includes data from multifamily properties owned by AvalonBay, First Service Residential, Greystar, Mill Creek Residential and Wood Partners.
ButterflyMX reported the following trends in San Francisco and the Bay Area:
- San Francisco Bay Area ButterflyMX users utilize more than 300 Delivery Passes each week since the start of 2023, accounting for thousands of package deliveries.
- 28% increase in package deliveries from the 12 months prior, which is trending to increase in 2023 on the ButterflyMX platform.
- With no signs of slowing, package delivery volume at multifamily properties are estimated to grow almost 15% per year through 2025. With a whopping 76% of multifamily residents nationwide receiving three or more packages per month, deliveries continue to be a distraction when not effectively controlled.
- Remote door management, which gives residents the ability to securely allow guests into their building without requiring the resident to be on site, has doubled across ButterflyMX’s platform over the past year.
- ButterflyMX platform has seen nearly 507,000 average active monthly users over the past six months, a significant increase over the same period last year.
“San Francisco is a city of renters, where an estimated 65% of households rent, according to the latest census data. Considered the tech world’s center, the diverse population, vibrant culture, and thriving economy make the Bay Area one of the most dynamic real estate markets in the country,” said Aaron Rudenstine, CEO of ButterflyMX. “These savvy residents drive demand for tech-enabled solutions at multifamily properties, as evidenced by the high levels of engagement with the ButterflyMX property access platform in the Bay Area.”
Buildings without doormen, package rooms or other secure areas to store deliveries—which can include anything from weekly groceries to mattresses—are more likely to deal with package theft, a burden for both residents and property managers, who are often called on to help investigate stolen packages reported to law enforcement or delivery services.
“Package deliveries creep higher each year, and we expect 2023 numbers to reach record levels in San Francisco. As early adopters, innovators, and creators across the tech space, San Francisco residents can ensure their packages are always delivered through our mobile-based platform,” said Cyrus Claffey, founder of ButterflyMX. “Technology is the best way forward for San Franciscans to ensure their packages are secure and their time is not wasted on dealing with the consequences of stolen packages.”
Founded in 2014, ButterflyMX pioneered simple and convenient mobile-based property access by launching the world’s first smart video intercom. Today, ButterflyMX is relied upon by the most trusted names in multifamily and commercial real estate to provide a simple property access experience into and throughout their buildings. Their products include video intercoms, access control systems, key lockers, elevator controls, package rooms, and smart locks all designed to provide buildings with a unified property access experience that can be managed from the ButterflyMX OS — an online system for issuing access permissions, reviewing entry logs, and integrating other building services providing access control.
ButterflyMX is your complete property access solution, providing a secure, convenient, and cost-effective way to manage and grant access on the go. Empower your tenants to open doors, gates, and elevators with a smartphone and ensure they never miss a visitor or delivery. Enjoy easy installation and cut costs by eliminating building wiring and in-unit hardware, and save time by integrating with popular access control and property management systems. Join the 10,000+ multifamily, commercial, gated community, and student housing properties that have made access simple with ButterflyMX. Join us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.