thirteen lune Closes $8M Seed Plus Funding

thirteen lune, a Los Angeles, CA-based beauty e-commerce company, raised $8M in Seed plus funding.

The round was led by The BrainTrust Fund, which led by Kendra Bracken-Ferguson and Lisa Stone, makes early stage venture investments identified via BrainTrust Founders Studio, a large platform dedicated to Black founders of beauty and wellness companies.

The company intends to use the funds to continue to expand its business reach.

Launched in 2020 by Nyakio Grieco and Patrick Herning, thirteen lune is an inclusive beauty e-commerce destination designed to inspire the discovery of beauty brands created by BIPOC founders that resonate with people of all colors.

In two short years, the brand has grown from an e-commerce destination featuring 13 foundational Black-founded brands, to offering 160+ beauty brands on its platform, 90% of which are BIPOC-founded, with the remaining 10% being from ally brands. thirteen lune’s 2022 performance, evidenced by 2000%+ sales growth year-over-year, was fueled by the launch of its first private label brand, Relevant: Your Skin Seen, the expansion of its in-store partnership with JCPenney Beauty, and the addition of nationally recognized BIPOC-founded brands to its platform including Ami Colé, Buttah Skin and Pattern Beauty by Tracee Ellis Ross. In 2023, the company will continue expanding into 600 JCPenney locations nationwide and open its own flagship store in Los Angeles.