Descript, a San Francisco, CA-based video and audio editing company, raised $50M in Series C funding.
The round was led by OpenAI Startup Fund with participation from Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital and Daniel Gross.
The company intends to use the funds to amplify the implementation of AI to combine video, images and text into a new way of creating content.
Led by CEO Andrew Mason, Descript offers Scenes – a visual method for making video intuitive. Scenes complement and compound its core transcription-based editor, which already works with podcast editing. Its adaptability allows creator, in type of workflow, to create from a simple screen recording to a sophisticated narrative with multiple layers of video, b-roll, audio, with video and audio effects, transitions, and everything else they’d get from a more complicated legacy tool.
The core features include Overdub, Studio Sound, automatic filler word removal, easy social video clips, subtitles, screen and webcam recording, exporting & publishing, and collaboration.
Descript is also launching over 30 new features, including:
- Premium stock media: The tool now includes free access to millions of premium stock videos, images, sound effects and music tracks.
- Templates: Select from a gallery of great-looking layouts, title sequences and social clips. Or creators can make their own.
- Multitrack screen recording: Descript’s recorder is now integrated into the editor, with separate tracks for screen and camera.
- Green screen: Creators can put their videos in any setting they want with its AI background removal capabilities.
- Write mode: Creators can use Overdub to write their script in Descript while laying out visuals as they go. Then, they can choose one of the ultra realistic text-to-speech voices, or swap it out with their own recording.