BOSTON, Nov. 14, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Yumanity Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: YMTX), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2022 and provided an overview of the Company’s recent corporate developments.
Recent Corporate Developments
- On November 10, 2022, Yumanity announced the effectiveness of a registration statement on Form S-4 (the “Registration Statement”) with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) in connection with Yumanity’s previously announced proposed sale of Yumanity’s lead clinical-stage product candidate, YTX-7739, as well as Yumanity’s unpartnered discovery-stage neuroscience product candidates and targets to Janssen Pharmaceutica NV (“Janssen”) for $26 million in cash as well as Yumanity’s proposed merger with Kineta, Inc. (“Kineta”) under which Kineta will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Yumanity in an all-stock transaction, resulting in a combined publicly traded company re-named Kineta, Inc. Yumanity subsequently filed a definitive proxy statement and prospectus (the “Proxy Statement”) which provides important information about Yumanity and the proposed transactions, both of which were announced on June 6, 2022. Yumanity is mailing the Proxy Statement to stockholders of record as of the close of business on November 4, 2022. The Proxy Statement will be accompanied by a voting instruction form or a proxy card relating to the special meeting of Yumanity’s stockholders to approve the asset sale and merger (the “Special Meeting”) which will be held in a virtual-only format via live audio webcast at 10:00 a.m., Eastern Time, on December 13, 2022, at www.virtualshareholdermeeting.
com/YMTX2022SM, unless postponed or adjourned to a later date.
Third Quarter 2022 Financial Highlights
- Cash position: As of September 30, 2022, cash, cash equivalents and investments were $8.4 million, compared to $36.5 million as of December 31, 2021. The decrease was primarily due to a $12.8 million payment to extinguish the Company’s remaining debt during the first quarter of 2022, spending on the clinical development of YTX-7739 primarily in the first quarter of 2022, and costs related to being a public company. As of the issuance date of the condensed consolidated financial statements for the period ended September 30, 2022, the Company expects that, absent either strategic transaction, its cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities will be sufficient to fund its operating expenses early into the first quarter of 2023.
- Research and development (R&D) expense: Research and development expense was $0.7 million compared to $6.6 million for the third quarter of 2021. The decrease in R&D expense was primarily due to the elimination of a significant portion of the Company’s R&D personnel in connection with the restructuring announced in February 2022 as well as pausing of clinical development efforts for YTX-7739 while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration partial clinical hold is in effect.
- General and administrative expense: General and administrative expense was $4.2 million compared to $4.5 million for the third quarter of 2021. The decrease was primarily attributable to lower personnel costs resulting from the restructuring announced in February 2022, offset by higher legal fees and investment banking fees incurred in connection with the transactions contemplated by the merger agreement with Kineta and the asset purchase agreement with Janssen.
- Net loss: The Company reported a net loss of $3.4 million, or $0.31 per basic and diluted share, compared to a net loss of $10.0 million, or $0.97 per basic and diluted share for the third quarter of 2021. The decrease in net loss was due primarily to the decrease in R&D expense as described above. The Company expects to continue to generate operating losses for the foreseeable future, although at reduced expected levels as a result of restructuring actions taken in the nine months ended September 30, 2022.
|YUMANITY THERAPEUTICS, INC.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENT OF OPERATIONS (unaudited)
(in thousands, except share/unit amounts)
|Three Months Ended||Nine Months Ended|
|September 30,||September 30,|
|Research and development||726||6,624||6,764||20,729|
|General and administrative||4,180||4,513||14,562||15,277|
|Total operating expenses||–||–||3,903||–|
|Loss from operations||(3,504||)||(9,502||)||(21,148||)||(28,724||)|
|Other income (expense), net||141||(454||)||(441||)||(368||)|
|Net loss per share/unit, basic and diluted||$||(0.31||)||$||(0.97||)||$||(2.00||)||$||(2.84||)|
|Weighted average common shares/units outstanding, basic and diluted||10,855,751||10,304,775||10,817,830||10,239,502|
|SELECTED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEET DATA (unaudited)
|September 30,||December 31,|
|Cash, cash equivalents and investments||$||8,416||$||36,501|
|Total current assets||9,080||42,708|
|Total stockholders’ equity||5,476||23,497|
Yumanity is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to accelerating the revolution in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases through its scientific foundation and drug discovery platform. Yumanity’s drug discovery platform enables the Company to rapidly screen for potential disease-modifying therapies by overcoming the toxicity of misfolded proteins associated with neurogenerative diseases. Yumanity’s pipeline consists of programs focused on Parkinson’s disease, Lewy body dementia, multi-system atrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease) and frontotemporal lobar dementia (FTLD). For more information, please visit www.yumanity.com.