FLORHAM PARK, N.J., Nov. 14, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — PDS Biotechnology Corporation (Nasdaq: PDSB), a clinical-stage immunotherapy company developing a growing pipeline of targeted immunotherapies for cancer and infectious disease, will discuss its financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2022 and provide a business update on its conference call today.
Recent Business Highlights:
- PDS0101 Lead Drug Candidate
- VERSATILE-002 Phase 2 Clinical Trial
- Hosted a key opinion leader roundtable discussion on current treatment of head and neck cancer, and how PDS0101 might fit into the treatment paradigm.
- Announced a successful end-of-Phase 2 meeting with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), allowing progression to a registrational trial for VERSATILE-002.
- IMMUNOCERV Phase 2 Clinical Trial
- Presented preliminary data on the clinical efficacy and safety of the combination of PDS0101 and chemoradiotherapy, as well as immunological correlates in the IMMUNOCERV Phase 2 trial being conducted at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in locally, advanced cervical cancer at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Conference (SITC) 2022.
- NCI-led Triple Combination Phase 2 Clinical Trial
- Presented data on immunological correlates associated with clinical benefit in patients with HPV-positive checkpoint inhibitor (CPI) refractory cancer treated with the PDS0101-based triple combination in the National Cancer Institute (NCI)-led Phase 2 clinical trial at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Conference (SITC) 2022.
- Reported expanded interim data for the Phase 2 PDS0101 based triple combination trial led by the NCI targeting advanced HPV-positive cancers.
- Announced completion of recruitment into the NCI-led PDS0101-based triple combination Phase 2 trial, and also reported selection of the CPI refractory arm as the preferred patient group to target in a registrational study with the triple combination.
- VERSATILE-002 Phase 2 Clinical Trial
- PDS0102 and PDS0103 Drug Candidates
- Presented preclinical data on both PDS0102 and PDS0103, demonstrating the versatility of the Versamune® platform and generation of TARP and MUC1 specific polyfunctional CD8+ T cells presented at the American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) Special Conference: Tumor Immunology and Immunotherapy 2022.
- PDS0202 Universal Flu Candidate
- Presented data from the preclinical universal flu vaccine program at the American Society of Virology meeting, demonstrating the potential ability of PDS0202 to neutralize multiple strains of influenza in animals.
- Entered into a venture loan and security agreement with Horizon Technology Finance Corporation, which provides PDS Biotech with up to $35 million in term loans.
“The third quarter has been monumental for PDS Biotech, and we continue to make strides towards commercialization of our lead candidate, PDS0101,” stated Dr. Frank Bedu-Addo, President and Chief Executive Officer of PDS Biotech. We’ve remained focused on progressing our four Phase 2 clinical programs, most recently, announcing data from our IMMUNOCERV trial in locally, advanced cervical cancer. 100% (9/9) of patients had a clinical response with tumor shrinkage of over 60% at the midpoint evaluation, and 89% (8/9) of patients had a complete response with no evidence of disease at day 170, when treated with a combination of PDS0101 and chemotherapy. Furthermore, we released expanded interim data from our NCI-led PDS0101-based triple combination trial demonstrating 66% (19/29) survival at median follow up of 16 months in checkpoint inhibitor refractory HPV-positive cancer patients that appears to show signs of clinical efficacy, durability, and safety, consistent with the data presented at the American Society for Clinical Oncology 2022. And, with VERSATILE-002 in which PDS0101 is combined with KEYTRUDA®, we are preparing for a registrational trial after our successful end-of-Phase 2 meeting with the FDA. To date, we have presented PDS0101 Phase 2 efficacy data in over 60 patients and safety data in over 100 patients.”
Matthew Hill, Chief Financial Officer of PDS Biotech, stated, “We are excited about the progress we have made in our development programs, and we have strengthened the balance sheet to support our ongoing efforts. This August, we increased our cash position by entering into a loan agreement with Horizon Technology Finance Corporation, where we received an initial tranche of $25 million in term loans. This financing provides PDS Biotech with the financial resources and runway needed to prepare for a registrational trial for our lead candidate, PDS0101, and to advance our preclinical pipeline.”
Third Quarter 2022 Financial Results
Net loss for the three months ended September 30, 2022 was approximately $7.4 million, or $0.26 per basic share and diluted share, compared to a net loss of approximately $7.0 million, or $0.24 per basic and diluted share, for the three months ended September 30, 2021. The higher net loss reported for the three months ended September 2022 is primarily due to additional costs for expansion of the Company’s research and development, including costs associated with our ongoing clinical trials and additional general and administrative costs.
Research and development expenses increased to $4.4 million for the three months ended September 30, 2022 from $3.7 million for the three months ended September 30, 2021. The increase of $0.7 million in 2022 was primarily attributable to an increase of $0.2 million in clinical study and research costs, $0.3 million in personnel costs and $0.4 million in manufacturing services partially offset by a decrease of $0.2 million in professional fees and facilities.
General and administrative expenses decreased to $2.9 million for the three months ended September 30, 2022 from $3.3 million for the three months ended September 30, 2021. The decrease of $0.4 million is primarily attributable to a decrease of $0.5 million in personnel an increase of $0.2 million in professional fees partially offset by a decrease of $0.1 million in facilities costs.
Total operating expenses were approximately $7.3 million for the three months ended September 30, 2022, from approximately $7.0 million for the three months ended September 30, 2021.
PDS Biotech’s cash balance as of September 30, 2022 was approximately $71.6 million.
PDS Biotech’s lead candidate, PDS0101, combines the utility of the Versamune® platform with targeted antigens in HPV-positive cancers. In partnership with Merck & Co., PDS Biotech is evaluating a combination of PDS0101 and KEYTRUDA® in a Phase 2 study in first-line treatment of recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer, and also in second line treatment of recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer in patients who have failed prior checkpoint inhibitor therapy. A Phase 2 clinical study is also being conducted in both second- and third-line treatment of multiple advanced HPV-positive cancers in partnership with the National Cancer Institute (NCI). A third Phase 2 clinical trial in first line treatment of locally advanced cervical cancer is being performed with The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center. A final Phase 2 clinical trial of PDS0101 monotherapy in first line treatment of newly diagnosed patients HPV16-positive head and neck cancer patients is being conducted at the Mayo Clinic.
KEYTRUDA® is a registered trademark of Merck Sharp and Dohme LLC, a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA.
About PDS Biotechnology
PDS Biotech is a clinical-stage immunotherapy company developing a growing pipeline of targeted cancer and infectious disease immunotherapies based on our proprietary Versamune® and Infectimune™ T cell-activating technology platforms. We believe our targeted Versamune® based candidates have the potential to overcome the limitations of current immunotherapy by inducing large quantities of high-quality, potent polyfunctional tumor specific CD4+ helper and CD8+ killer T cells. To date, our lead Versamune® clinical candidate, PDS0101, has demonstrated the potential to reduce tumors and stabilize disease in combination with approved and investigational therapeutics in patients with a broad range of HPV-positive cancers in multiple Phase 2 clinical trials. Our Infectimune™ based vaccines have also demonstrated the potential to induce not only robust and durable neutralizing antibody responses, but also powerful T cell responses, including long-lasting memory T cell responses in pre-clinical studies to date. To learn more, please visit www.pdsbiotech.com or follow us on Twitter at @PDSBiotech.