With Tax Day looming and 44 million Americans expecting to pay this year’s taxes late due to the COVID-19 pandemic, WalletHub today released its 2022 Taxpayer Survey, as well as its yearly report on the States with the Highest & Lowest Tax Rates (accompanying videos included) in order to help people better understand this confusing time of year. You can find highlights from both below, followed by the full list of WalletHub’s 2022 taxpayer resources.
2022 Taxpayer Survey
- 72% of Americans think the government should have provided more tax relief due to COVID-19.
- 81% of people say the government does not spend their tax dollars wisely.
- Half of people would move to a different state to avoid taxes.
- 48% of Americans think that their neighbors cheat on their taxes.
- 66% of people think their current tax rate is too high.
|States with the Lowest Tax Rates||States with the Highest Tax Rates|
|1. Alaska||42. New Jersey|
|2. Delaware||43. Ohio|
|3. Montana||44. Iowa|
|4. Nevada||45. Wisconsin|
|5. Wyoming||46. Nebraska|
|6. Florida||47. Kansas|
|7. Utah||48. Pennsylvania|
|8. Idaho||49. New York|
|9. Colorado||50. Connecticut|
|10. Tennessee||51. Illinois|
WalletHub’s 2022 Taxpayer Resources
- What to Do if You Can’t Pay
- Pros & Cons of Paying with Credit
- Tax Scams & Tips for Avoiding Them
- Last-Minute Tax Tips
- Property Taxes by State