How to – How Are You Managing?

Everyone has a different idea about what makes a great boss and most people can tell me what their manager does wrong.

The boss has to communicate executive management’s objectives to employees and convey their employees’ concerns to upper management. It’s a squeeze play that can leave even the best manager among us anxious, vulnerable and lonely. If you are unable to manage these feelings, you can end up dumping on your employees and while that may get you the results you want in the short term, it can get you turnover and dissatisfaction in the long run. Some managers are more concerned about the content of their own work than in developing and coordinating the work of others. That can result in the employees running around getting minimal management support while the boss does what they think is more interesting or more important.

The best managers can absorb the pressure from above AND they enjoy and get satisfaction from seeing employees grow, develop, succeed and having fun at work.

Want to be the best manager you can be?
§ Control your emotions: handle the pressure from above without jumping all over your employees, slamming doors or making your level of stress obvious.

§ Manage the expectations of your boss so you can minimize the stress being placed on you in the first place.

§ Spend 80 % of your time managing, training, coaching, delegating, training, facilitating and motivating your team. The other 20% should be spent dealing with the strategic matters that you find most interesting.

§ Spend time each week with individual employees, learning about what they are doing, how they are doing, and listening to what they are saying. Ask them what they need from you.

  • Get the input of the people who are doing the work. You show them they are a valuable resource when you ask them to contribute their opinions and ideas.

Often it is HOW the boss manages that can make the difference in employee engagement and retention.

Nationally recognized management development consultant, trainer, author and professional speaker Joni Daniels has helped thousands of people and teams become empowered about accomplishing their professional and personal goals. She is a sought after resource for Fortune 500 clients, professional organizations, higher education, and media outlets and business publications. Joni can be reached at